Walled City lahore Authority

Walled City Lahore Authority has completed the conservation of Barkat Ali Islamia Hall. Barkat Ali Islamia Hall’s historic building is associated with the politics of pre-partition Punjab, located on the Circular Road near Mochi Gate. This building was named on Khan Bahadur Barkat Ali Khan, a famous member of nobility of Lahore. its construction was started in 1888. Khan Bahudar Barkat Ali Khan was the founder of “Anjuman Islamia Punjab “.This organization purchased land to construct a building so that Muslims would be provided a place for public/political gatherings. Later on after the death of Barkat Ali Khan in 1905, the Anjuman decided to change  the name as “Barkat Ali Islamia Hall”. And a plaque erected at the façade of the building with the date 1905. In 1912, a reading room was established in Hall where Urdu and English newspaper & Magazines were kept to read. This building was among those first buildings where electricity came when it was introduced in Lahore in 1912. Nearly All the famous muslim leaders addressed in this hall before partition like Quaid e Azam, Allama Iqbal, and Molana Zafar Ali khan.

Over time, Barkat Ali Islamia Hall, much like many other heritage sites in the Walled City, has faced challenges such as encroachment, vandalism, and neglect. The building was closed since last 12 years and the structure of the building was getting deterioted day by day. The ownership of the building is with Auqaf Departement. While they have engaged Walled City Lahore Authority in December 2022 for the conservation of the building.

 This historical building was being conserved by Walled City Lahore Authority since November 2021. The conservational cost of this building is 20.2 Million Rs. The details of conservational works are consolidation of the structure and Beams, restoration of the façade of the building, Cracks refilling, Plaster, Sewage and electricity works. This building is now ready for reuse and Authority is organizing Dastan Goi, Mushaera,s and other events for its revival.

Conservation Gallery