Dina Nath Well
Right beside the grand Wazir Khan Mosque you will see a walled well of Diwan Dina Nath. It is the only walled well inside the walled city of Lahore. Diwan Dina Nath belonged to a Kashmiri Pandit family living in Delhi. In 1815 Maharaja Ranjit Singh had invited Dina Nath to Lahore and offered him the post of mutsaddi, or writer, in the department of military accounts. In 1826, after the demise of Diwan Ganga Ram one of Ranjit Singh’s courtiers, Dina Nath succeeded him as the head of military accounts department and keeper of the privy seal and in 1834 he became the head of the civil and finance office. Maharaja Ranjit Singh awarded the honorary title of Diwan to Dina Nath in 1838, which means the custodian of finances. Diwan Dina Nath, he was one of the signatories to the treaty which was made between the Sikhs and the British after the First Anglo-Sikh War, which was fought between the Sikh Empire and the East India Company between 1845 and 1846. Later, when a council was constituted in December 1846 for the governance of the Punjab, Raja Dina Nath was made its President, with the active support of the British. Raja Dina Nath died in 1857 near Kot Khawaja Saeed, at Lahore, Pakistan. During his service, while he built the Haveli Dina Nath, he also ordered the construction of this well.
Unfortunately this well also could not escape from the shackles of encroachments. It has almost fourteen encroachments around it. Anyone walking on the Royal Trail could hardly notice this piece of history. The encroachments from the well were removed along with the removal of encroachments from the historic Chowk of Wazir Khan.
During the conservation of the Chow this walled Well was also conserved. Now take a look at what has happened to it…